Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Famous Green Salad

I have yet to make this salad and take it anywhere and come home with any of it left. It is always a hit. I got the original recipe from my sister-in-law a few years back and have since done some tweaking and trying new things etc. I say it is famous because every time I bring it, I get hit up for the recipe over and over and it is known as "that yummy salad that you make."

2 heads iceberg lettuce
1 head green leaf lettuce
Chop these up and put in large bowl (I usually use my big Tupperware bowls)
Then add
16 oz shredded mozzerella cheese
1 jar bacon bits - normal spice jar size
1 large can drained mandarin oranges
1/2 - 1 can cashew halves or pieces
1/2 bag of craisins or more if you like
The salad part is really just kind of add more or less as you like.
Mix this all together well.
Dressing:
1/4 C pureed red onion - (I usually just buy a really small red onion because you don't need that much. Peel it, cut it up and put it in your blender. You may want to add a teeny bit of water to help get it started blending. And you blend it until it is pureed. Empty that out of your blender except for the 1/4 C)
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Red Wine Vinegar
2 t dry or regular mustard (I use the regular mustard)
Blend all of this together until well blended.
Then add 3/4 Canola or Veggie oil.
Blend again.
Mix the salad well but don't add the dressing until right before you serve it to avoid it from getting soggy. Don't overdo it on the dressing. Just enough to cover it. You may have some dressing left over.
I just made this for a family party and it fed about 30 people. None left of course. LOL. A few weeks ago I had to make it for a much bigger party so I doubled it and it fed about 75 people.Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment