Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Few quick and easy dinners

I have a few stand by's that are pretty easy and yummy.

Turkey Swiss Avocado Sandwich Bake
This is one I just invented. My kids love it and we really enjoy it. It is really good with some kind of salad.

1 loaf french bread - I pick up a fresh loaf from Smiths, Albertsons, etc. yummy!
Cut this in half length wise and place face up on a baking sheet.
Spread with mayo and seasoning if you wish. Ranch might be good too.
Layer with turkey slices, avocado slices, and top with swiss cheese slices. Put in oven on about 450 and let it bake until the outside is crunchy and cheese is melted.
Cut into slices and serve

Homemade Hot Pockets
One of my favorite recipes that I made up using my bread maker. You can also use just Rhodes roll dough.
I make the dough in my breadmaker and the break it into large chunks. I roll them out and put ham slices and grated cheddar cheese inside. I fold the dough over and seal the edges. Let rise. And then bake according to the dough instructions. My kids and Rob LOVE these. They are also delicious with turkey, swiss and cream cheese.

Pulled Chicken BBQ Sandwiches
My kids really love these. I used to buy the premade Lloyds BBQ but realized that there usually isn't quite enough for our growing family. My kids also sometimes complained that it was too spicy. So I tried an experiment. I had Rob pick up a rotisserie chicken from Costco and I basically just shredded all of the meat off of it. I put it in a pan and added a bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce and about a 1/2 C brown sugar. I stirred it up and heated it up on the stove and walla! Awesome pulled chicken sandwiches! My family liked these MUCH better than the premade Lloyds kind.

Chicken Caesar Wraps
Another invention I did. We LOVE these, especially in the summer. They are nice because they are quick, light, and you don't have to use your oven and heat the house up.
4-5 Chicken Breasts - sliced
Sautee the chicken breasts in olive oil and garlic until done.
Add:
1 bottle of Newman's Own Caesar Dressing. Just pour the whole bottle over the top of the chicken and let it simmer.
While it is simmering, make up a premade package of Caesar Salad using the dressing in the packet. I don't add the croutons, but you could if you wanted.
Assemble:
Using either wraps or flour tortillas, put some salad, chicken slices, and wrap. I fold in the edges to prevent them spilling.
That's it. These are so so yummy!!

1 comment: